from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An official directly subordinate to a member of a cabinet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An administrator immediately subordinate to a head of a government department or to a member of a cabinet
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A secretary who is subordinate to the chief secretary; an assistant secretary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A secretary subordinate to the principal secretary: as, an under-secretary for Ireland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a secretary immediately subordinate to the head of a department of government
Sorry, no etymologies found.