from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A descendant of the prophet Muhammad through his daughter Fatima.
- n. The chief magistrate of Mecca in Ottoman times.
- n. A Moroccan prince or ruler.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A descendant of Mohammed through his daughter Fatima.
- n. A prince or ruler; specifically, the chief magistrate of Mecca.
- n. A high dignitary having both temporal and spiritual authority among the Sulus and other Mohammedans of the Philippine Islands.
- n. A simplified spelling of sheriff.
Arabic šarīf, noble, from šarufa, to be highborn; see śrp2 in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)