from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To quick-freeze.
- transitive v. To store in a frozen condition.
- transitive v. To suspend or defer indefinitely: "American long-term obligations . . . which have been deep-frozen since the early 1950s” ( Paul Kennedy).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of deep freeze.
- v. To freeze at very low temperatures.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. electric refrigerator (trade name Deepfreeze) in which food is frozen and stored for long periods of time
Sorry, no etymologies found.
My deep-freeze tells the tale of it's effectiveness.
The European property market is finally emerging from its recessionary deep-freeze, but there are still plenty of icy patches for investors to slip on.
Today in the tub I dream of the bathroom turning to deep-freeze winter again, going back there one last time, the pipes and tiles cracking from the cold.
I've got 4 breasts in the deep-freeze, and 4 drumsticks in the crock-pot right now, and have had similar results since I started hunting turkeys.
But there was some weirdness about, particularly in the ability to deep-freeze humans by putting them in special 9-dimensional pouches.
They live as much in their imaginations as in the office parks, satellite campuses, industrial estates and deep-freeze lobbies of five-star hotels where Mr. Deb finds them.
Today, as we begin to debate Glass-Steagall all over again, the old stereotypes are simply being pulled out of deep-freeze.
The entire gigantic menagerie is housed in four deep-freeze tanks, representing a staggeringly important slice of some of the world's most rare wildlife.
It takes two days before I find the bottle stashed in the bottom of the big deep-freeze in the utility room.
The double loss of house and business plunged my father into thoughts of suicide and a decade long depression, my mother into an emotional deep-freeze.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.