American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small donkey, especially one used as a pack animal.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A donkey.
- n. A name sometimes given in Great Britain to the alga Laminaria digitata.
- n. A name of species of grunts of the family Hœmulidæ, as Pomadasis macracanthus of the Pacific coast of tropical America.
- n. a small donkey
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.), Southern U.S. A donkey.
- n. small donkey used as a pack animal
- From Spanish (Wiktionary)
- Spanish, back-formation from borrico, donkey, from Late Latin burrīcus, small horse. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Why not use humor in teaching style, especially when it makes the point so well? burro, burrow A burro is an ass.”
“I had one of the lowest IQs in my class and was called a burro by the kids and stupid by our teachers most of my life.”
“If sitting on a burro is too distressing for the little one, there are peaceful grottoes, with the figure of Juan Diego kneeling before the Blessed Mother, that can serve as a background.”
“In some cases even a burro is present, for the Virgin to mount.”
“Even when Dona Berta delivered our burros de leña, (firewood was measured in burro loads) small-talk was kept to a minimum.”
“It gets its name from Mexico, where it was a popular “packed lunch” for traveling burro is Spanish for donkey.”
“The burro is the common carrier and, because of his sterling qualities, is a prime favorite in all of the pueblos.”
“The one good thing about staying here is the fact that I saw my first "burro" on the trail.”
“One should remember that in the development of these deserts the prospector owes a deep debt of gratitude to that patient, faithful little beast, the donkey, or "burro," as it is commonly known; without the service of this animal many a man would have suffered a lingering death.”
“The brown aboriginal, his "burro" laden with charcoal, or skins of _pulque_, or himself staggering under a load of planks heavy enough to weigh down”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘burro’.
lista de animales en espaÃ±ol
Words and names discovered or re-discovered while reading and re-reading this awesome book.
Looking for tweets for burro.