American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A male gamete or reproductive cell; a spermatozoon.
- n. Semen.
- n. A substance, such as spermaceti, associated with the sperm whale.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The male seed of any kind, as the semen or seminal fluid of the higher vertebrates, the male spawn or milt of the lower vertebrates, or the seminal elements of any animal, containing the male germs, or spermatozoa.
- n. Same as spermaceti.
- n. A sperm-whale.
- n. Sperm-oil.
- n. uncountable Semen; the generative substance of male animals.
- n. cytology The reproductive cell or gamete of the male; a spermatozoon.
- n. chemistry sperm oil; whale oil from a sperm whale; spermaceti.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the male reproductive cell; the male gamete
- From Middle French sperme, from Latin sperma, from Ancient Greek σπέρμα (sperma, "seed, semen"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English sperme, semen, from Old French esperme, from Late Latin sperma, from Greek; see sper- in Indo-European roots.Short for spermaceti. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Women can easily create single-parent households without men by using a sperm donor, in a state that recognizes the legal status of ’sperm donor’.”
“I paused for a whisker of a moment, amazed that I was even uttering the word sperm to a seventy-seven-year-old man who could be my grandfather.”
“I never got the "you're dead but your sperm is alive" thing either.”
“LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD 4.0 was straight NutraSweet - dummies might be easily fooled, but anyone with have a brain can tell it's not the real thing, and your sperm is all retarded after extended exposure to it. oh the humanity”
“For males, this includes the epidydimis (the tubes next to the testicle — it's where your sperm is stored) and the urethra (the tube that carries your urine).”
“Yet, erectile dysfunction medication ads blare regularly from CNN and sperm is discussed at length on CBS.”
“How sperm is introduced into a female from a male or from a turkey baster and travels to the egg, whether through the fallopian tubes or test tubes.”
“Thanks to a team of Austrian scientists, human sperm is being touted as the latest age-fighting agent.”
“According to a researcher at Graz University, spermidine, a compound that is found in sperm, guards the cells in flies, worms, yeast, mice and even human blood against damage, thereby slowing the aging process.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sperm’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
seed; germ; beginning
Note: Can also be sperma-, -spermal, spermatio-, spermato-, spermi-, -spermic, spermo-, -spermous
I am finding use for the 'reverse dictionary" by seeing how long my reverse dictionary chain will survive.
I can't help it. I have to add another Monty Python list. I blame it on the word newt showing up. Suggestions Welcome!
Looking for tweets for sperm.