from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The mature fertilizing gamete of a male organism, usually consisting of a round or cylindrical nucleated cell, a short neck, and a thin motile tail. Also called sperm cell, zoosperm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The reproductive cell or gamete of the male, carried in semen, that fertilizes the ovum to produce the zygote.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as spermatozoid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the numberless microscopic bodies contained in semen, to which the seminal fluid owes its vitality, and which are the immediate and active means of impregnating or fertilizing the ovum of the female; a spermatic cell or filament; a spermatozoan or spermatozooid.
- n. A genus of animalcules.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the male reproductive cell; the male gamete
From Ancient Greek σπέρμα (sperma, "sperm") + ζῷον (zōon, "living thing"). (Wiktionary)