from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A reproductive cell (male (sperm) or female (egg)) that has only half the usual number of chromosomes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sexual cell or germ cell having a single set of unpaired chromosomes; a conjugating cell which unites with another of like or unlike character to form a new individual. In Bot., gamete designates esp. the similar sex cells of the lower thallophytes which unite by conjugation, forming a zygospore. The gametes of higher plants are of two sorts, sperm (male) and egg (female); their union is called fertilization, and the resulting zygote an oöspore. In Zoöl., gamete is most commonly used of the sexual cells of certain Protozoa, though also extended to the germ cells of higher forms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, a propagative protoplasmic body which unites with a similar or dissimilar body to form a spore, called a zygote, the latter being either a zygospore or an oöspore. Mobile gametes resembling zoöspores are called planogametes or zoögametes.
- n. A general term for the mature germ-cells, either male (spermatozoön) or female (ovum), which unite to form the zygote.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mature sexual reproductive cell having a single set of unpaired chromosomes
A variation of IVF, called gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT) consists of the immediate injection of the ova into the fallopian tube after combination with semen without determining whether they have been successfully fertilized.
In females, the gamete is the egg, fewer and larger cells produced in an environment capable of supplying nutrition to a developing embryo.
Marriage is often actually defined as the gamete of the state.
Traditionally, many people who have gone to sperm banks have indeed wanted to take the man out of the sperm, preferring to pretend that what they're buying is just a "gamete," which came from, well, the gamete factory, not from a living, breathing man whose personality and looks they may find practically duplicated in their child.
The chance of an individual gamete which is a (d u) recombinant combining with another (d u) recombinant is (p/2) x (p/2).
Adoption Act declared unconstitutional because it discriminates against children who are born through "gamete" donors, including sperm donors.
Pratten, who now works as a journalist in Toronto, filed her lawsuit in 2008, seeking to have the Adoption Act declared unconstitutional because it discriminates against children who are born through "gamete" donors, which includes sperm and egg donors.
These are the new sequences, created from a hybrid of Andorian DNA as well as wholly new code intended to fill the gaps left by genetic deficiencies contained within an original gamete after fertilization.
The theory she presented for altering the genetic code in an Andorian gamete is straightforward enough.
Here at Huffington Post Travel we've covered the gamete of amenities, from completely extraordinary--an underwater suite, perhaps?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.