from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large nonmotile female gamete or egg cell, formed in an oogonium and ready for fertilization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large nonmotile egg cell formed in an oogonium and ready for fertilization
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An unfertilized, rounded mass of protoplasm, produced in an oögonium.
- n. An analogous mass of protoplasm in the ovule of a flowering plant; an embryonic vesicle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In cryptogams, the naked nucleated spherical or ovoid mass of protoplasm in the center of the oögonium, which after fertilization develops the oöspore.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gamete; used especially of lower plants
oo- + sphere (Wiktionary)