from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The female reproductive cell or gamete of animals; egg.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The female gamete in animals; the egg cell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A more or less spherical and transparent cell, which by a process of multiplication and growth develops into a mass of cells, constituting a new individual like the parent; an egg, spore, germ, or germ cell. See Illust. of mycropyle.
- n. One of the series of egg-shaped ornaments into which the ovolo is often carved.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An egg, in a broad biological sense; the proper product of an ovary; the female germ or seed, which when fertilized by the male sperm, and sometimes without such fecundation, is capable of developing into an individual like the parent.
- n. [capitalized] In conchology, same as Ovulum.
- n. [capitalized] In ichthyology, a genus of fishes.
- n. In architecture, an ornament in the shape of an egg.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the female reproductive cell; the female gamete
Latin ōvum, egg; see awi- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ōvum ("egg"). (Wiktionary)