from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Shaped like an egg; oval.
- adj. Botany Broad and rounded at the base and tapering toward the end: an ovate leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shaped like an egg.
- adj. Egg-shaped, with the broadest extremity near the base.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Shaped like an egg, with the lower extremity broadest.
- adj. Having the shape of an egg, or of the longitudinal section of an egg, with the broader end basal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See the quotation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. rounded like an egg
- adj. of a leaf shape; egg-shaped with the broader end at the base
Latin ōvātus, from ōvum, egg.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin ovatus (Wiktionary)