from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A surface having parabolic sections parallel to a single coordinate axis and elliptic sections perpendicular to that axis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surface having a parabolic cross section parallel to an axis, and circular or elliptical cross section perpendicular to the axis; especially the surface of revolution of a parabola.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The solid generated by the rotation of a parabola about its axis; any surface of the second order whose sections by planes parallel to a given line are parabolas.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The solid generated by the revolution of a parabola about its axis; a parabolic conoid.
- n. A curve whose equation is of the form ax = y.
- n. A solid or surface of the second degree some of whose plane-sections are parabolas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surface having parabolic sections parallel to a single coordinate axis and elliptic sections perpendicular to that axis
Sorry, no etymologies found.