from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sperm-producing organ occurring in seedless plants, fungi, and algae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An organ producing male gametes called antherozoids, found in lower plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The male reproductive apparatus in the lower plants, consisting of a cell or other cavity in which spermatozoids are produced; -- called also spermary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the organ in cryptogamic plants which answers to the anther in the phanerogamic series. It assumes various forms and positions in the different groups. Also called antherid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the male sex organ of spore-producing plants; produces antherozoids; equivalent to the anther in flowers
New Latin : anthēra, anther; see anther + -idium, diminutive suff. (from Greek -idion).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)