from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A multicellular, often flask-shaped, egg-producing organ occurring in mosses, ferns, and most gymnosperms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A multicellular reproductive structure that contains a large, non-motile gamete (egg cell), and within which an embryo will develop.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The pistillidium or female organ in the higher cryptogamic plants, corresponding to the pistil in flowering plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The pistillidium or female organ of the higher cryptogams, having the same function as the pistil in flowering plants.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a female sex organ occurring in mosses, ferns, and most gymnosperms
New Latin, from Greek arkhegonos, original : arkhe-, arkhi-, archi- + gonos, offspring; see genə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)