American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Masturbation.
- n. Coitus interruptus.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Gratification of the sexual appetite in an unnatural way.
- n. ejaculating outside the vagina during intercourse; (the performing of) coitus interruptus
- n. masturbation
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Self-pollution; masturbation.
- n. manual stimulation of the genital organs (of yourself or another) for sexual pleasure
- n. a method of birth control in which coitus is initiated but the penis is deliberately withdrawn before ejaculation
- From the biblical name Onan: In the Book of Genesis, Onan, son of Judah, in fulfillment of the laws of levirate marriage was to impregnate his brother Er's widow, Tamar, in order to raise offspring from the union in his brother's name. In order to avoid raising descendants for his late brother, however, Onan spilled his semen on the ground when he went in to his brother's wife, so that he would not give offspring to his brother. (Genesis 38:9). Thus the word Onanism was coined, meaning ejaculating outside the vagina, or masturbation (because this also spills semen, rather than using it for procreation). (Wiktionary)
- After Onan, son of Judah (Genesis 38:9). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“So, the word onanism now is used commonly to mean masturbation the Japanese have borrowed the word as well in onaru.”
“From him the extreme sexual perversion called onanism has its name.”
“It also may be postulated that if wasting of seed is the real reason for prohibitions against homosex, then the Bible would have also explicitly addressed spilling of semen by self sexual stimulation, often called onanism by Orthodox Judaism, relating it to the Divine execution of Onan (Gn. 38: 4-10) for coitus interruptus.”
“But marketing alone cannot explain why "onanism" and related terms began to show up in the great eighteenth-century encyclopedias or why one of the most influential physicians in France, the celebrated Samuel Auguste David Tissot, took up the idea of masturbation as a dangerous illness or why Tissot's 1760 work, L'Onanisme, became an instant European literary sensation.”
“Tissot included only manual self-abuse under the term "onanism;" shortly afterward, Voltaire, in his _Dictionnaire Philosophique_, took up the subject, giving it a wider meaning and still further popularizing it.”
“Against such condemnatory terms as "mutual masturbation," "onanism," and "sodomy," men in the nineteenth century struggled for a new, affirmative language of sexual love.”
“Pope Pius XI condemned this so-called sin of "onanism" because he misunderstood the biblical story.”
“Indeed, these desks which are open in front also facilitate surveillance of the scholars from the moral point of view; because, always seated, placed side by side without any possibility of spiritual communion, their heads dazed by the continuous vociferation of the teacher, these children very often contract vicious habits, such as onanism, which originate in the school itself.”
“Then again, maybe it will never be published, makingany anxiety over reader impact pure onanism.”
“The most frequent (if not most preferred!) sexual outlet of most people most of the time is masturbation, making onanism the statistical norm from which all else is deviation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘onanism’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
words wot i already knew
Looking for tweets for onanism.