from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An organ in animals that produces gametes, especially a testis or ovary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sex organ that produces gametes; specifically, a testicle or ovary.
- n. The testicles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the masses of generative tissue primitively alike in both sexes, but giving rise to either an ovary or a testis; a generative gland; a germ gland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, a germ-gland; a germinal or reproductive gland or organ, in the widest sense, producing sperm-cells or egg-cells; an ovary or a spermary, of whatever kind, in a primitive or an indifferent state.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced
New Latin gonas, gonad-, from Greek gonos, procreation, genitals; see genə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek γονή (gonē, "seed, begetting, birth, offspring"), from γίγνεσθαι (gignesthai, "be born"). (Wiktionary)