American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An organ in animals that produces gametes, especially a testis or ovary.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, a germ-gland; a germinal or reproductive gland or organ, in the widest sense, producing sperm-cells or egg-cells; an ovary or a spermary, of whatever kind, in a primitive or an indifferent state.
- n. anatomy A sex organ that produces gametes; specifically, a testicle or ovary.
- n. slang, in the plural The testicles.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) One of the masses of generative tissue primitively alike in both sexes, but giving rise to either an ovary or a testis; a generative gland; a germ gland.
- n. a gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced
- Ancient Greek γονή (gonē, "seed, begetting, birth, offspring"), from γίγνεσθαι (gignesthai, "be born"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin gonas, gonad-, from Greek gonos, procreation, genitals; see genə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The recent election results have shown that the Democrats, while they still haven’t grown themselves a pair, do at least seem to have gained ONE gonad, which is better than the NONE they had before.”
“Women are many things … but utilitarian gonad drones theyre not.”
“This syndrome is characterized by a combination of Wilms 'tumor, kidney failure, genitourinary malformations and gonad (ovaries or testes) abnormalities.”
“And the cute couple at the base, performing gonad duty.”
“Like being associated with a lying, unreliable and discredited Governor, given to flights of gonad fantasies, would be a resume-enhancing experience.”
“Throat cutting, gonad slicing megalomaniac Arthurian remnants.”
“Say what you like, but I'm disappointed that Tiger is no longer endorsing my monthly gonad shave.”
“They found concentrations not just in the lung, but also in the liver, kidney, spleen, gonad, and heart.”
“Uranium particles, whether pure uranium or in an oxidized form, are alpha emitters, and can be highly carcinogenic and mutagenic if ingested or inhaled, since they can lodge in one part of the body -- the kidney or lung or gonad, for example -- and then irradiate surrounding cells with large, destructive alpha particles (actually helium atoms), until some gene is compromised and a cell become malignant.”
“But now with mobile apps you could watch graffiti pop out of the walls on a tab of acid while the dope head next to you sucks his own gonad, and feel like you're in your cubicle.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gonad’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
With thanks to quinn for the idea, seen here. It's true that most diseases cannot double as names for baby boysâ€”but some can. And anyway in their absence I nominate (thanks to Colon/Colin) body p...
of or relating to; used to form names
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Looking for tweets for gonad.