American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly British Slang Variant of ass2.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The buttocks or hind part of an animal.
- n. chiefly UK, Australia, New Zealand The buttocks.
- n. chiefly UK (not used in US, Canada) A stupid, mean or despicable person.
- v. slang, intransitive To be silly, act stupid or mess around.
- v. slang To make, to bother. (If one cannot be arsed to do something, one does not have the will to make the effort to do it.)
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The buttocks, or hind part of an animal; the posteriors; the fundament; the bottom.
- n. vulgar slang for anus
- n. the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- From Old English ærs, ears, from Proto-Germanic *arsaz. Cognate with Dutch aars and German Arsch. Ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *órsos (“backside, buttocks”) (according to Julius Pokorny and Carl Darling Buck). (Wiktionary)
“If your arse is as wide as mine, then there's no excuse.”
“What chaps my arse is the notion put forth by Rob that the unwashed masses who DON'T own top-dollar weaponry are obviously cretins who wouldn't know a Purdey shotgun from a hoe handle and somehow are less able to appreciate the game they seek.”
“Some of the more orthodox Sodomites hold that to cover up the cock and arse is unholy, that the wearing of leather chaps that expose the crotch area is a divine decree of Pan Himself.”
“After he performed his statistical magic, the rallying cry of "the arse is out of her" was sounded far and wide.”
“We were visiting there a couple of years ago and I was having a chat with one of the "old-timers" who (talking about something that Danny Williams did) said, "Well - the arse is out of 'er now".”
“The next time you see someone saying that the "arse is out of 'er" you may want to wait for a week or two then check back and see how the arse is doing.”
“A couple of times a year something happens that causes them to shout "Well - the arse is out of her now, me b'y.”
“His arse is the smoothest I have ever seen on a grown man – human or not.”
“If you have a muslim name, and are not a terrorist, I apologize to you in advance but your arse is on the line also when you are on a plane.”
“You violate those procedures (however pointless and ridiculous they may be) your arse is on the line if anything happens.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arse’.
words for buttocks and anything
to do with buttocks
All these terms have a (different) American English equivalent. Wonder if you can identify them?
BRING IT ON!!!!!
Words overused in modern pop music.
Also see ruzuzu's list: Words that should be heard in songs more often.
Collection of words from Old Blighty
A tip of my hat to the snarkiest of English dialects. Here here!
Mr. Pronunciation is an upstanding and reliable sort of dude. He's like the Clark Kent of the pronunciation world. Sometimes, though, he botches up a pronunciation and, you know, he's in a hurry an...
Words and things that rub me wrong
... as in "by James Joyce"
Looking for tweets for arse.