from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The substitution of one person for another, especially the legal doctrine of substituting one creditor for another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The substitution of a different person in place of a creditor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of subrogating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, the act or operation of law in vesting a person who has satisfied, or is ready to satisfy, a claim which ought to be borne by another with the right to hold and enforce the claim against such other for his own indemnification.
- n. In a general sense, succession of any kind, whether of a person to a person, or of a person to a thing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (law) the act of substituting of one creditor for another
Sorry, no etymologies found.