from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person of equal status or rank; a peer.
- n. A comrade, companion, or associate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the equal or peer of someone else; someone who is a close companion or associate of someone else
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- An equal, as in rank, age, prowess, etc.; a companion; a comrade; a mate.
- transitive v. To be equal with; to match.
- intransitive v. See compear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is the peer of another; one who has equal rank or standing in any respect; an equal, especially as a companion or associate.
- n. Synonyms See associate, n.
- To equal; match; be equal with.
- See compear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
Middle English comper, from Old French, from Latin compār, equal; see compare.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From comrade and peer (Wiktionary)