from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A helper and companion, especially a spouse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who supplies help or companionship.
- n. A wife or spouse.
- n. A recreational problem in chess in which both sides cooperate to achieve a specific goal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A helper; a companion; specifically, a wife.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An assistant; a helper; a coadjutor; a partner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a helpful partner
Probably alteration of helpmeet (influenced by mate1).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A folk-etymological alteration of helpmeet, by reanalysis as help + mate. (Wiktionary)