from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Archaic The female head of a household.
- n. Archaic Used formerly as a courtesy title before the surname of a married woman not of noble birth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. .
- n. A female head of a household
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The mistress of a house.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mistress of a household; woman of the house: correlative of goodman.
Sorry, no etymologies found.