American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An animal or animals killed by being struck by a motor vehicle.
- n. Slang One that has failed or been defeated and is no longer worthy of consideration: "Many radio rightists betray a truculent nostalgia for the old foes who became their roadkill” ( Richard Corliss).
- n. the killing of an animal by a road vehicle
- n. the animal(s) so killed
- n. by extension a helpless victim
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The body of an animal killed by a vehicle on a road. Also used metaphorically.
- n. the dead body of an animal that has been killed on a road by a vehicle
- A road + kill (Wiktionary)
“If roadkill is exempt, poachers have an easy way out.”
“In that area of the country, roadkill is part of the cuisine.”
“There's no regular German word for "roadkill" - it's an American concept, though I'm sure they run animals over on the autobahn.”
“Anywhere I've ever been, any "roadkill" taken had to have a donation permit associated with it, I agree with jay.”
“The technical term for an author whose book only makes 50% sell-through is "roadkill"; I think I'd have to look it up that my only book that didn't make 70% was the hardcover of my first novel.”
“The pundits described our party as "roadkill" that would be left out of America's new conservative future.”
“I thought your 'roadkill' comment was very funny, Mr N.”
“So he now watches it regularly. also told a guy at work and he watched 'roadkill' episode on tv and like the feel so he now has my DVD boxset so hopefully thats another fan for us.”
“And even if none of the "roadkill" had been killed by the participants, surely when a group of grown men are riding around New York City playing with bloody animals it is symptomatic of something in the "bike culture" that goes beyond simple stupidity.”
“I couldn't help wondering if at least some of the "roadkill" hadn't been alive before these people go their hands on it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘roadkill’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Stuff that's dead.
Words from the songs of Frank Black, a.k.a. Black Francis
A complete list of the red cards (things) from the popular word game.
There are 17576 different sequences of three letters (26 x 26 x 26). How many of them occur in words? General rules of engagement: mononyms only, lower case preferred to upper case, short preferred...
Looking for tweets for roadkill.