from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal (Bassariscus astutus) of the southwest United States, having grayish or brownish fur and a black-banded tail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ring-tailed animal, notably:
- n. A ringsail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bird having a distinct band of color across the tail, as the hen harrier.
- n. A light sail set abaft and beyong the leech of a boom-and-gaff sail; -- called also ringsail.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ring-tailed bird of prey: especially, the female or young male harrier, Circus cyaneus.
- n. A small quadrilateral sail, set on a small mast on a ship's taffrail; also, a studdingsail set upon the gaff of a fore-and-aft sail. Also called ringsail.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North American raccoon
- n. an immature golden eagle
- n. monkey of Central America and South America having thick hair on the head that resembles a monk's cowl
- n. raccoon-like omnivorous mammal of Mexico and the southwestern United States having a long bushy tail with black and white rings
The sails along the centre line of the ship are the fore-and-aft sails; these are the triangular jibs, staysails and trysails, and the trapezoidal spanker we have already mentioned, which sometimes has a gaff topsail over it and a "ringtail" behind it, as shown in our figure.
It consisted of an unclean and vicious-looking man in tramp's clothing, grinding an offensive hand-organ and domineering over a poor little terrorized "ringtail" monkey.
Actually, I'm wondering if it wasn't a ringtail, native to California.
Recent media reports of the extinction of the lemuroid ringtail possum were "confused," the species is still around.
The ringtail and raccoon exchanged a distinctly hesitant look before following.
His size made him prominent among the sword - and ax-armed ringtail cats and raccoons who comprised the majority of the gang.
A ringtail and the bear grabbed him under the arms and hustled him away toward the densest cluster of trees while the rest of the gang scattered in every direction.
The bandicoot and ringtail rushed out to inform their companions of what had transpired within.
Two of Wurragarr's people, an ax-wielding bandicoot and a sword-armed ringtail, stood entranced in the far doorway.
"Uh-uh, " admitted the ringtail, wondering simultaneously if he was being set up.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.