from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece of dough, sometimes filled, that is cooked in liquid such as water or soup.
- n. Sweetened dough wrapped around fruit, such as an apple, baked and served as a dessert.
- n. Informal A short, chubby creature.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ball of dough that is cooked and may have a filling and/or additional ingredients in the dough.
- n. A term of endearment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A roundish mass of dough boiled in soup, or as a sort of pudding; often, a cover of paste inclosing an apple or other fruit, and boiled or baked.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of pudding or mass of boiled paste, or a wrapping of paste in which fruit is boiled.
- n. A dwarf.
- n. Any one of two or three species of dwarf, stemless, succulent evergreen plants belonging to the genus Mesembryan-themum, especially M. minimum, called the small dumpling, a plant only half an inch high, and M. obcordellum, called the greater dumpling, which is about an inch higher.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small balls or strips of boiled or steamed dough
- n. dessert made by baking fruit wrapped in pastry
If the word dumpling confuses a New York City native, say “matzo ball.”
However, I did make some chicken and dumplings the way my mama makes it and surprisingly, my English hubby really liked it, even though here a dumpling is a whole 'nother thing - more like a biscuit (American biscuit, not a cookie!) that floats on top of soup - crunchy on top and a bit soggy on the bottom, and equally delicious.
Call me just another average uneducated white guy, but I think the Thai Chicken dumpling is great.
And the strip style of dumpling is what the cheater flour tortilla method closely approximates.
If I've learned anything about hipster pop-up joints, it's that the reason they charge stupid prices like $2 a dumpling is because hipsters hate money, don't understand things like market value and often will gladly pay it.
Ramsay de Give for The Wall Street Journal The white fungus dumpling is a vegetarian option and one of the restaurant's specialties.
The dumpling is dry inside though and they have boil plantains instead of fried ones.
Mike Betit, principal of Tamarack Hollow Farms, served a controversial mac and cheese in Asian dumpling wrappers, lightly browned in butter — did he win?
Truth be told, both Phyllis and I preferred the pork soup buns in Charlottesville, with their loose meat and liquidy interior, which I later found out is the more traditional approach; the meatball inside your dumpling, in other words, should never be as firm as a doggy chew toy.
[Everything is a friggin dumpling at dim sum, so I try not to use their English names ...]).
Is China Gourmet the Best General Tso’s in Midtown? (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Thing That Hopitalized Me in 1996) | Midtown Lunch - Finding Lunch in the Food Wasteland of NYC's Midtown Manhattan
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.