American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who assists the celebrant in the performance of liturgical rites.
- n. A devoted follower or attendant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who waits on a person; an attendant; an assistant.
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church, one ordained to the fourth and highest of the minor orders, ranking immediately below the subdeacon. See orders. His office is to serve those of the superior orders in the ministry of the altar, light the candles, prepare the wine and water, etc. The name is now commonly extended to the boys who exercise these offices without ordination.
- n. In astronomy, an attendant or accompanying star or other heavenly body; a satellite.
- n. Sometimes written acolyth, and formerly also acholithite, acolythe, acolythist, acolothist.
- n. ecclesiastical One who has received the highest of the four minor orders in the Catholic Church, being ordained to carry the wine, water and lights at Mass.
- n. An attendant, assistant or follower.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Eccl.) One who has received the highest of the four minor orders in the Catholic church, being ordained to carry the wine and water and the lights at the Mass.
- n. One who attends; an assistant.
- n. someone who assists a priest or minister in a liturgical service; a cleric ordained in the highest of the minor orders in the Roman Catholic Church but not in the Anglican Church or the Eastern Orthodox Churches
- From Late Latin acolythus, acoluthus, from Ancient Greek ἀκόλουθος ("follower, attendant"): compare French acolyte (Wiktionary)
- Middle English acolit, from Old French, from Medieval Latin acolytus, from Greek akolouthos, attendant; see anacoluthon. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was Craig himself who introduced the term acolyte to The Twelve Detectives as a way to refer to their assistants.”
“But you will find yourself summarily booted O-U-T of the DD club if you do that, since no actual scientist or sciency-acolyte is allowed to belong to both per this debate about telic design in life.”
“Police can only assume an acolyte is at large, a maniac basing his attacks on the twisted medical techniques of the madman he so admires.”
“Warren is most definitely not a [Robert] Rubin acolyte.”
“For America's most famous libertarian, an Ayn Rand acolyte, that is more than troubling.”
“But look more closely and it is clear that change is afoot in this mineral-rich former Soviet acolyte which is on the cusp of a mining boom that has led investors to describe Mongolia as the "Kuwait of Central Asia".”
“I did; but when I found the priest would not assist me at first, and admit that the acolyte was a girl, I preferred to let him think I was deceived in giving a fortune to another, and leave it to his own conscience to permit it or frustrate it.”
“Maybe we could get him to add an 'acolyte' to the group from his local chapter. ”
“Greenspan, meanwhile, was so shaken that he recanted his belief in the rational market, quite something from an Ayn Rand acolyte.”
“The deacon ascends to the altar with the burse in hand, and extends the corporal; at the same time, an acolyte places the Missal on the Gospel side, with a purification vessel and purificator for the purification of the priest's fingers after Communion.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acolyte’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Words and collocations associated with political scandal
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
a beginner's list should be about novices and all those that start on new journeys
words delicious to pronounce
Hungary in the English-speaking press 2010-2013. Topical words and expressions.
world of fixed ma..., wounds of history, workfare society, ultra-liberal jou..., undermine the rul..., uncouth eastern E..., tug of war over m..., workfare programme, temptation to tur..., vague myths of pu..., sweep away corrup..., Victatorship and 493 more...
Words that make me think of Vampire: The Requiem
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for acolyte.