from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An assistant to a churchwarden, one of whose duties is to collect offerings during a service.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A party man; a partisan.
- n. An assistant to the churchwarden; a questman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person who takes sides or belongs to a side; a party-man or partizan.
- n. In the Ch. of Eng., an assistant to a churchwarden; a deputy churchwarden.
- n. In some parts of Great Britain, an assistant or assessor to a public civil officer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Church of England) an assistant to the churchwarden; collects offerings of money in the church
Corruption of synod's man. (Wiktionary)