from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is in charge of a sacristy.
- n. A sexton.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The person who maintains the sacristy and the sacred objects it contains.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An officer of the church who has the care of the utensils or movables, and of the church in general; a sexton.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An officer of a church or monastery who has the charge of the sacristy and all its contents, and acts as custodian of the other vessels, vestments, and valuables of the church.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer of the church who is in charge of sacred objects
Middle English, from Medieval Latin sacristānus, from sacrista, from Latin sacer, sacred; see sacred.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French sacristian, Latin sacrista, from Latin sacer. See sacred, and compare sexton. (Wiktionary)