American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that digs graves.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose occupation is the digging of graves.
- n. A beetle of the genus Necrophorus: so called from its habit of burying dead bodies. Also named sexton. See cut under burying-beetle.
- n. A digger-wasp, as of the genus Sphex, which digs holes in the clay for its eggs, with which it deposits a store of disabled caterpillars and spiders, to serve as food for the grub when hatched.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A digger of graves.
- n. (Zoöl.) See Burying beetle, under Bury, v. t.
- n. a person who earns a living by digging graves
“Totodet was still traumatized by his job as the jail's "gravedigger," dumping hundreds of his fellow prisoners into mass graves.”
“In 1936 the Schwarts, an immigrant family desperate to escape Nazi Germany, settle in a small town in upstate New York, where the father, a former high school teacher, is demeaned by the only job he can get: gravedigger and cemetery caretaker.”
“You are born here, they will not hurt you" so the gravedigger has predicted for his daughter, which will turn out to be true.”
“Barnardo Pip Donaghy is also the player king and the gravedigger.”
“Or, of a skull he holds up to the gravedigger, "As if 'twere Cain's jawbone that did the first significant pause murder.”
“Ophelia and Gertrude are played by the same actor there are just six performers in all, and the gravedigger scene is acted in dumb show right at the beginning, to a roaring track by Godspeed You!”
“The actor who played the creepy gravedigger in the Van Helsing movie is Tom Stevenson.”
“Who played that creepy gravedigger in the Van Helsing movie?”
“The real star is director Ava Roy, whose masterful use of the entire island was both subtle and innovative; at times organic (the gravedigger scene was on a small mountain of rubble) and striking (Ophelia's madness was played inside a wide open hospital room threaded with white twine, empty birdcages, and lilting bird down.)”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gravedigger’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for gravedigger.