from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An establishment maintained at public expense as housing for the homeless.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A charitable institution where poor or homeless people are lodged
- n. A workhouse
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dwelling for a number of paupers maintained at public expense; an almshouse; a workhouse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An establishment in which persons receiving public charity are lodged and cared for; an almshouse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an establishment maintained at public expense in order to provide housing for the poor and homeless
Sorry, no etymologies found.