from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Situated or taking place on or above the surface of the ground: aboveground nuclear testing.
- adj. Operating or existing within the establishment; conventional: journalistic practices unacceptable to the aboveground press.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Above the surface of the ground.
- adj. Above the surface.
- adj. Not dead and buried; alive.
- adj. Existing, produced, or published by or within the establishment.
- n. The portion of society that is not underground.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. on or above the surface of the ground
You can get from the subway to the Manulife center without going aboveground, which is great when it rains.
Evapotranspiration and albedo may be affected by ecosystem properties such as aboveground biomass or leaf area index
What lay behind the WU trajectory, however, was not merely frustration with the shortcomings of the "aboveground" movement, or long-term strategic thinking.
Lexicon defines "aboveground" extremist groups as those whose members "operate overtly and portray themselves as law-abiding," even though they are really part of the conspiracy to topple the republic.
I think, from a lifetime of being involved in real estate ventures, that we'll be lucky to see it happen in our lifetimes .... and this is assuming we'll hang out aboveground for more than ten more years.
Impatient to get back aboveground and deal with Telly, it was hard to keep still.
The subway goes aboveground, and New York in all its drabness slides past the window.
The mortuary had cleared the snow from the grave, and the casket lay aboveground for our makeshift ceremony.
Instead of using aboveground ponds to grow algae for biofuels, researchers at the Missouri University of Science and Technology have proposed growing algae underground in abandoned mines.
Underground mines are cheap, maintain constant temperature, solve the aboveground evaporation and contamination problems, and the site preparation has already been done by the mining companies.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.