American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An officer on a merchant ship who has charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person in a merchant ship whose business is to manage the sales and superintend all the commercial concerns of the voyage.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An officer or person in a merchant ship, whose duty is to manage the sales, and superintend the commercial concerns, of the voyage.
- n. an officer on a merchant ship in charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase
- Alteration (influenced by super-) of supracargo, alteration (influenced by supra-) of Spanish sobrecargo : sobre-, over (from Latin super-; see super-) + cargo, cargo; see cargo. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The supercargo was the brother of the Mr. S----, whose death in Jamaica the reader will not have forgotten, and he gave me a hearty welcome.”
“The captain, the agent, and the supercargo were ashore in the two boats.”
“There was some subterfuge about our position on board -- I forget the particulars now -- I was called the supercargo and Pollack was the steward.”
“A supercargo is a position in the ship's crew analogous to the ship's clerk.”
“Myself - skipper Castor - 1st officer & pilot Meade - 2nd officer & asst. cook Hazel - chief engineer Pollux - asst.eng. & relief pilot Edith - ship's surgeon & cook Buster - 'supercargo”
“A "supercargo" was an officer of a merchant ship who was entrusted with the sale of the cargo and other commercial transactions.”
“Portuguese intendant, who travelled with us as a kind of supercargo; but the villain only grinned and said something about the Junta and the galleys for life, so I did not recur to it afterwards.”
“Both he and that fat beast of a supercargo are a pair of sneaks, and they hate you like poison.”
“Tako Kakuta and Ras Tschubai-Counting Pucky, these three make up the teleport team Wuriu Sengu-The mutant tele-spy sees through it all John Marshall-Chief of the Mutant Corps Lt. Jenner, Dr. Ranault and Dr. Sorowski-Technical 'supercargo' for the teleport team Lt. Groder-Special agent of Solar Intelligence Maj.”
“Rather than simply sail around the world, or travel as supercargo to Calcutta and backtwo options that were open to himhe signed on as”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘supercargo’.
1815 edition; ed. William Burney (London: Chatham Publishing, 2006).
Looking for tweets for supercargo.