from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ribs considered as a group.
- n. An arrangement of ribs, as in a boat.
- n. Informal The act or an instance of joking or teasing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of rib.
- n. The action of the verb to rib.
- n. Collectively, the ribs on an object.
- n. An instance of teasing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An assemblage or arrangement of ribs, as the timberwork for the support of an arch or coved ceiling, the veins in the leaves of some plants, ridges in the fabric of cloth, or the like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An assemblage or arrangement of ribs, as timberwork sustaining a vaulted ceiling, ridges on cloth, veins in the leaves of plants, etc.
- n. In agriculture, a kind of imperfect plowing, formerly common, by which stubbles were rapidly turned over, every alternate strip only being moved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a framework of ribs
- n. the act of harassing someone playfully or maliciously (especially by ridicule); provoking someone with persistent annoyances
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The ribbing is finished, and the rib-to-body increases, and I can do it pretty well with my eyes shut.
The reason that Canadians come in for so much ribbing is that some who post on the forums are so transparently easy to goad.
And those guys doing the ribbing are the ones that will be monitoring these screens live at the airports?
Now if AdamB is unable to handle some 'ribbing' then that is most unfortunate .....
I think it is really terrible that we merge politics with "Jerry Springer," we merge politics with "David Letterman," that people form their opinions now from jokes and the kind of ribbing that they get on these things.
At this stage, too, the pathological 'ribbing' of the hoof is observable.
"As we walked in, guys were kind of ribbing him a little bit, he was back and forth,"
Idol gives back is about asking its viewers to open their wallets for worthy causes in the United States and in Africa, add to this some celebrity performances, some 'ribbing' of the judges before culminating with one unfortunate contestant taking the quick route home ..
Do not compare the "ribbing" you took from Joe Snedeker to the prejudice and discrimination experienced by Ms. Rosa Parks.
We just get a lot of good-natured ribbing, which is all in good fun. "
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.