from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of splitting or cleaving.
- n. The state of being split or cleft; a fissure or division.
- n. Mineralogy The splitting or tendency to split of a crystallized substance along definite crystalline planes, yielding smooth surfaces.
- n. Embryology The series of mitotic cell divisions that produces a blastula from a fertilized ovum. It is the basis of the multicellularity of complex organisms. Also called segmentation.
- n. Embryology Any single cell division in such a series.
- n. Chemistry The splitting of a complex molecule, such as a polysaccharide, into simpler molecules.
- n. Informal The hollow between a woman's breasts, especially as revealed by a low neckline.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The splitting of a large molecule into smaller ones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of cleaving or splitting.
- n. The quality possessed by many crystallized substances of splitting readily in one or more definite directions, in which the cohesive attraction is a minimum, affording more or less smooth surfaces; the direction of the dividing plane; a fragment obtained by cleaving, as of a diamond. See Parting.
- n. Division into laminæ, like slate, with the lamination not necessarily parallel to the plane of deposition; -- usually produced by pressure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of cleaving or splitting, or the state of being cloven.
- n. In mineralogy, the property possessed by many crystallized minerals of breaking readily in one or more directions, by which means surfaces more or less smooth are obtained.
- n. In geology, the property possessed by certain rocks of being easily split or divided into thin layers.
- n. In embryology, segmentation, specifically of the vitellus: distinctively called egg-cleavage or yolk-cleavage. See segmentation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the line formed by a groove between two parts (especially the separation between a woman's breasts)
- n. the breaking of a chemical bond in a molecule resulting in smaller molecules
- n. the act of cleaving or splitting
- n. (embryology) the repeated division of a fertilised ovum
- n. the state of being split or cleft
From cleave + -age. (Wiktionary)