from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of bombing, especially towns or cities
- n. heavy artillery fire
- n. the incidence of an intense stream of high-energy particles directed at a substance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An attack upon a fortress or fortified town, with shells, hot shot, rockets, etc.; the act of throwing bombs and shot into a town or fortified place.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A continuous attack with shot and shell upon a town, fort, or other position; the act of throwing shot and shell into an enemy's town in order to destroy the buildings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act (or an instance) of subjecting a body or substance to the impact of high-energy particles (as electrons or alpha rays)
- n. the rapid and continuous delivery of linguistic communication (spoken or written)
- n. the heavy fire of artillery to saturate an area rather than hit a specific target
- n. an attack by dropping bombs
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Although, in the very touristy areas, the bombardment is a constant reminder of Saigon.
Thus, micrometeorite bombardment is an extremely important piece of the rings 'evolutionary puzzle because these impurities cause them to darken over time.
As a heavy particle with no charge, it could be used as a powerful projectile in bombardment experiments.
Orbital bombardment is a wonderful way to destroy a planet or the culture on it.
Although the possibility of mach-20+ over-the-horizon bombardment is kind of scary.
At 3: 30 in the afternoon, the bombardment from the artillery by land and on the river, began.
Hope's gunboats came under heavy bombardment from the Chinese batteries, and one, the Plover, lost thirty-one out of her crew of forty, her commander was killed, the admiral was wounded, and the remaining nine seamen were fighting their guns against hopeless odds.
This means that the number of effective collisions during a bombardment is minute - it is calculated that one hit occurs in ten million shots, that is out of ten million alpha particles.
The night or the portion of night spent here was marked by a most terrific bombardment from the air.
Fort Donelson attacked, 13th Feb. That night the gunboats arrived, and soon the bombardment from the river began.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.