from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of cutting or severing; division or fission.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of division, separation, cutting or severing
- n. cleavage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of dividing with an instrument having a sharp edge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of cutting or dividing, as with an edged instrument; the state of being cut; hence, division; fission; cleavage; splitting.
- n. Schism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of dividing by cutting or splitting
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin scissiō, scissiōn-, from Latin scissus, past participle of scindere, to cut, split; see skei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)