from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To throw away; reject.
- transitive v. To throw out (a playing card) from one's hand.
- transitive v. To play (a card other than a trump) from a suit different from that of the card led.
- intransitive v. To discard a playing card.
- n. The act of discarding in a card game.
- n. A discarded playing card.
- n. One that is discarded or rejected.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to throw away, to reject
- n. Anything discarded.
- n. A discarded playing card in a card game.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To throw out of one's hand, as superfluous cards; to lay aside (a card or cards).
- transitive v. To cast off as useless or as no longer of service; to dismiss from employment, confidence, or favor; to discharge; to turn away.
- transitive v. To put or thrust away; to reject.
- intransitive v. To make a discard.
- n. The act of discarding; also, the card or cards discarded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In card playing: In some games, to throw aside or reject from the hand, as a card dealt to the player which by the laws of the game is not needed or can be exchanged.
- In other games, as whist, to throw away on a trick, as a card (not a trump) of a different suit from that led, when one cannot follow suit and cannot or does not wish to trump
- To dismiss, as from service or employment; cast off.
- To thrust away; reject: as, to discard prejudices.
- Synonyms To turn away, discharge.
- In card-playing, to throw cards out of the hand. See I.
- n. In card-playing: The act of throwing out of the hand such cards as are unnecessary in the game, or of playing, as in whist, a card not a trump of a different suit from that led.
- n. The card or cards thrown out of the hand.
- n. Hence One who or that which is cast out or rejected.
- n. In poker, the pile of cards made up by the hands which are abandoned without being bet upon, and the cards which have been laid off so as to get others in exchange for them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. throw or cast away
- n. getting rid something that is regarded as useless or undesirable
- n. anything that is cast aside or discarded
- n. (cards) the act of throwing out a useless card or of failing to follow suit
From dis- + card. (Wiktionary)