American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To view with contempt; despise. See Synonyms at despise.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To consider and treat as contemptible and despicable; despise; scorn.
- To slight or disregard; neglect as unworthy of regard; reject with disdain.
- Synonyms Disdain, Despise, etc. (see scorn); look down upon, spurn.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To view or treat with contempt, as mean and despicable; to reject with disdain; to despise; to scorn.
- v. look down on with disdain
- From Latin contemnere ("to scorn"). See also contempt. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English contempnen, to slight, from Latin contemnere : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + temnere, to despise. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Because it is a trial," saith he, "and what if the sword contemn even the rod?”
“Or, What if the sword contemn even the rod? that is, what if this sword make the former rods, as that or Sennacherib, to be contemned as nothing to this?”
“What if the sword contemn the tribe or sceptre? namely, that of Judah and the house of David (so some think Shebet here signifies); what if it should aim at the ruin of our government?”
“Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.”
“And here's Laurence Binyon's poem in full, and as the Tinker reminded me over our coffee and silence this morning it is "contemn" not "condemn".”
“26: 021: 013 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.”
“13 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord God.”
“Moreover to be mindful of all that God hath commanded, and remember that such as contemn God fall into hell for their sins, and that everlasting life is prepared for such as fear Him.”
“Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? ”
“I am not glad that & ch a fore of time Should & ck a plaifter by 'contemn'd revolt.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘contemn’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
My Favorite Words
Words I find interesting.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Words to remember from Melville's "The Confidence Man"
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for contemn.