from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To view with contempt; despise. See Synonyms at despise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To disdain; to value at little or nothing; to treat or regard with contempt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To view or treat with contempt, as mean and despicable; to reject with disdain; to despise; to scorn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To consider and treat as contemptible and despicable; despise; scorn.
- To slight or disregard; neglect as unworthy of regard; reject with disdain.
- Synonyms Disdain, Despise, etc. (see scorn); look down upon, spurn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. look down on with disdain
"Because it is a trial," saith he, "and what if the sword contemn even the rod?"
Or, What if the sword contemn even the rod? that is, what if this sword make the former rods, as that or Sennacherib, to be contemned as nothing to this?
What if the sword contemn the tribe or sceptre? namely, that of Judah and the house of David (so some think Shebet here signifies); what if it should aim at the ruin of our government?
Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.
And here's Laurence Binyon's poem in full, and as the Tinker reminded me over our coffee and silence this morning it is "contemn" not "condemn".
26: 021: 013 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord GOD.
13 Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord God.
Moreover to be mindful of all that God hath commanded, and remember that such as contemn God fall into hell for their sins, and that everlasting life is prepared for such as fear Him.
Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? "
I am not glad that & ch a fore of time Should & ck a plaifter by 'contemn'd revolt.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.