American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To speak of or treat with contemptuous mirth. See Synonyms at ridicule.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To laugh at in contempt; turn to ridicule or make sport of; mock; treat with scorn by laughter.
- Synonyms Ridicule, etc. (see taunt), banter, rally, jeer, gibe, scout, scoff at, insult.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To laugh at with contempt; to laugh to scorn; to turn to ridicule or make sport of; to mock; to scoff at.
- v. treat or speak of with contempt
- From Latin deridere ("to mock, laugh at"), from de- ("from, down from") + ridere ("to laugh"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin dērīdēre : dē-, de- + rīdēre, to laugh at. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If you strove for it sincerely at any time, no matter how remote, you could never again deride it.”
“The fact that someone would see that as something to deride is beyond words”
“Defy the tempest & the storm deride is not in the original nor is it good. ποθος  is hardly fierce desire — & all such expressions of ram-cat raptures are bad. by the by she a dark lanthern might have deprived us of this poem. your storm is very good — zounds I sweat at the bare idea of the”
“All the other cable news netword deride John Stewart, but what they don't realize is that he is an incredibly intelligent person that has his finger on the pulse.”
“Is it that those faculty members "deride" the story while Huckabee finds it "compelling"?”
“Ruin the economy through unregulated greed, then deride the poor guy who has to clean up the mess.”
“While you cheer for one and deride the other watching the show, their minions are walking out of your back door with a wheel barrow full of cash.”
“Conservatives often deride Obama over remarks he made at a presser in April of 2009, in which he said that he believes in American exceptionalism "just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.”
“To show how disjointed this document is they first deride Orion for being too limited like the Apollo capsule with its water landings, then they recommend amending this by making Orion even more like Apollo, using the same designs in fact.”
“Relying for support on the central banks they so often deride must make gold bugs uncomfortable.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘deride’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words for describing dislike, reproval or criticism.
List of most of the words I've learned
the list of vocabularies from 1100 words you need to know Barron's.
Looking for tweets for deride.