from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A German art song for solo voice and piano.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An art song, sung in German and accompanied on the piano
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of lie.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lay; a German song. It differs from the French
chanson, and the Italian canzone, all three being national.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Properly, a German ballad, secular or sacred, fitted for singing or actually set to music.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a German art song of the 19th century for voice and piano
German Lied, from Middle High German liet, from Old High German liod.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)