from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to matins or to the early part of the day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to matins
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the morning, or to matins; used in the morning; matutinal.
- n. A French mastiff.
- n. Morning.
- n. Morning worship or service; morning prayers or songs.
- n. Time of morning service; the first canonical hour in the Roman Catholic Church.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Morning.
- n. plural One of the canonical hours appointed in the early church, and still observed in the Roman Catholic Church, especially in monastic orders.
- n. Morning worship, as sung; hence, any morning song: usually in the plural.
- n. plural A musical setting of any part of the office of matins.
- Pertaining to the morning; used in the morning.
- n. A French breed of large dogs, somewhat resembling the great Dane, but rough-coated; also used to some extent for sheep-dogs. Also mâtin-dog.
Before betaking themselves to their pretty homes under the rocks near the brook, they would address a parting song to his eyes, and this song they called a matin invocation:
Kind of like when I read (a long time ago) Jacques Prevert's dejeuner du matin, I still wonder about that woman's circumstances.
Ouai ... en peignoir, au milieu de la rue, à 10 heures du matin …
Translated Novel: Roi du matin, reine du jour (King of Morning, Queen of Day), Ian McDonald (Denoël)
Roi du matin, reine du jour de Ian McDonald, éditions Denoël
Have a wonderful weekend. 50's and enfin! le ciel est bleu ce matin in Roanoke, VA.
Quelle belle surprise d'avoir un FWaD email ce matin!
(Poème de Kristin revu par 'Newforest') Ce matin je me suis levée avant les ipomées.
On a humid and hazy vendredi matin, * we arrive in St. Tropez to find the parking lot presque plein.
Un matin, mon café tout juste avalé, je la vois descendre de l'étage des chambres la mine renfrognée.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.