from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Table at currency.
- n. A money of account formerly used in France and originally worth a pound of silver.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A unit of currency formerly used in France, divided into 20 sols or sous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A French money of account, afterward a silver coin equal to 20 sous. It is not now in use, having been superseded by the franc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old French coin and money of account, now superseded by the franc.
French, from Old French, from Latin lībra, a unit of weight, pound.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French livre. (Wiktionary)