from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A song or instrumental composition concerning, accompanying, or evoking daybreak.
- n. A poem or song of or about lovers separating at dawn.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A song or poem greeting or evoking the dawn.
- n. A morning love song; a song of lovers parting in the morning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An open air concert in the morning, as distinguished from an evening serenade; also, a pianoforte composition suggestive of morning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In troubadour and similar music, a song or piece to be performed in the open air in the early morning, usually addressed to some special person; a musical announcement of dawn. See serenade.
- n. In modern music, a rarely used title for a short instrumental composition in lyric style.
French, from Old French albade, from Old Provençal albada, from alba, dawn, aubade, from Latin, feminine of albus, white; see albho- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French, from Old French albade, from Latin albus ("white"). (Wiktionary)