from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Venetian gondolier's song with a rhythm suggestive of rowing.
- n. A composition imitating a Venetian gondolier's song.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Venetian folk song traditionally sung by gondoliers
- n. A composition in this style
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An Italian boatman.
- n. A simple song or melody sung by Venetian gondoliers.
- n. A piece of instrumental music composed in imitation of such a song.
- n. Also spelled barcarolle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a boating song sung by Venetian gondoliers
French, from Italian barcaruola, from barcaruolo, gondolier, from barca, boat, from Latin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Italian barcarola (Wiktionary)