from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Along, near, at, or to the side: stood with a bodyguard alongside; honked and drove up alongside.
- prep. By the side of; side by side with.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Along the side; by the side; side by side with.
- prep. Together with or at the same time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Along or by the side; side by side with; -- often with of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Along or by the side; at or to the side of anything, as a ship: as, to be alongside of the wall.
- Beside; by the side of: as, the vessel lay alongside the wharf.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. side by side
along + side (Wiktionary)