from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deserted or abandoned child of unknown parentage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An abandoned child, left by its parent(s), often a baby left at a convent or similar safe place.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A deserted or exposed infant; a child found without a parent or owner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An infant found abandoned or exposed; a child without a parent or claimant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a child who has been abandoned and whose parents are unknown
Middle English, from found, past participle of finden, to find; see find.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
found + -ling (Wiktionary)