American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To eject from a position or place; force out: "the American Revolution, which ousted the English” ( Virginia S. Eifert).
- v. To take the place of, especially by force; supplant. See Synonyms at eject.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See oast.
- v. To take away; to remove.
- v. To eject; to expel; to turn out.
- v. remove and replace
- v. remove from a position or office
- From Anglo-Norman ouster, oustier, from Old French oster ( > modern ôter), from post-classical Latin obstare ("to remove"), classical obstāre ("to obstruct, stand in the way of"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English ousten, from Anglo-Norman ouster, from Latin obstāre, to hinder; see obstacle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Secondly, there was no huge part played by any U.S. congressman to "oust" the Shah – rather they protected the corrupt leader after his fall.”
“And if he has he should then explain explicitly (instead of implicitly as in this piece) if he truly believes that the United States could "oust" the Iranian regime "in weeks.”
“I believe you are incorrect about people's desires to "oust" anyone from the neighborhood.”
“Like what would likely happen if these particular people manage to 'oust' the ruthless politicos 'over-them', and take local power into their own hands.”
“Nonetheless, contrary to the AFP story, U.S. troops did not "oust" the Taliban.”
“There was no "pressure group" of any kind within the youth brigade planning to "oust" Mtshali, he said.”
“The decision came after Ramaphosa on Saturday allegedly called on ANC supporters in KwaZulu/Natal to "oust" the province's premier, Dr Frank Mdlalose.”
“Not sure we can 'oust' the 'commmie in chief'. .but it will also send a message.”
“Mumbai, April 5 -- A galaxy of leaders from the Bharatiya Janata Party-Shiv Sena alliance here Sunday urged the people of Maharashtra to "oust" the Congress-led government at the centre and bring the BJP-led NDA to power under the decisive leadership of L.K. Advani.”
“Is the United States engaged in plans to 'oust' Russia's Black Sea Fleet from its centuries-old home port in Ukraine?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘oust’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that make other words with the addition of one letter at the beginning. The resulting words are tagged "behead".
I marvel at the amazing variety of four-letter words in the English language. And that's not even counting really common (to me) words like fuck.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Looking for tweets for oust.