from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A kiln for drying hops or malt or drying and curing tobacco.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a kiln for drying tobacco, malt and especially hops
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kiln to dry hops or malt; a cockle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kiln to dry hops or malt. See cut in preceding column.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a kiln for drying hops
Middle English ost, from Old English āst.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English ost, Anglos Saxon ast a kiln, Latin aedes a hearth or house (Wiktionary)