from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. hop picking, the practice of picking hops; for Londoners a holiday period working in the hop gardens of Kent.
- v. Present participle of hop.
- n. A shift from one energy-state to another by an electron in an atom.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of one who, or that which, hops; a jumping, frisking, or dancing.
- n. A gathering of hops.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who hops or dances. Specifically
- n. A dance; a hop; a country fair or wake at which dancing is a principal amusement.
- n. A game of prison-bars, in which the players hop throughout the game.
- n. The act or occupation of picking hops from the vines; hop-picking.
Alternative spelling (C17) of hoppe, from Middle French houbelon (Wiktionary)
to hop (Wiktionary)