from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To put out (a tenant, for example) by legal process; expel.
- transitive v. To force out; eject. See Synonyms at eject.
- transitive v. Law To recover (property, for example) by a superior claim or legal process.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To expel (one or more people) from their property; to force (one or more people) to move out.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To dispossess by a judicial process; to dispossess by paramount right or claim of such right; to eject; to oust.
- transitive v. To evince; to prove.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To dispossess by a judicial process or course of legal proceedings; expel from lands or tenements by legal process.
- To wrest or alienate by reason of the hostile assertion of an irresistible title, though without judicial process. See eviction, 2.
- Hence To expel by force; turn out or remove in any compulsory way: as, to evict disturbers from a theater.
- To evince; prove.
- To set aside; displace; annul.
- To force out; compel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. expel from one's property or force to move out by a legal process
- v. expel or eject without recourse to legal process
They will have to forceably evict from the hospital.
Gravity Lens points us to Five "characters" to evict from the comics storytelling pantheon.
I don; t think the link to "five characters to evict" is the right link
The question will be, do you have time to do that before the midterms evict your majority?
MORIAL: This order to evict, which is what is, is neither sensible, nor is it compassionate.
Israel launches air raids in Gaza after rocket, mortar fire mayor told to 'evict' Silwan settlers condemns Web list of Gaza soldiers AP
Article: Jerusalem mayor told to 'evict' Silwan settlers
Photo: Jerusalem mayor told to 'evict' Silwan settlers
To launch the wacky evening, the remaining House Guests-that's Britney, Enzo, Hayden, Lane, and Ragan-had a ceremony to basically "evict" the penguin suit that Enzo had been wearing for that last while.
A police van sets out on the designated day and time to "evict" hawkers from the pavement or pathway in a particular area but nobody is actually rounded up.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.