from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To remove from the throne; depose.
- transitive v. To remove from a prominent or powerful position.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To depose; to forcibly relieve a monarch of the monarchy.
- v. To remove any governing authority from power.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To remove or drive from a throne; to depose; to divest of supreme authority and dignity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To remove or drive from a throne; depose; divest of royal authority and dignity.
- To divest of rule, or of supreme power or authority.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. remove a monarch from the throne
The FTC's new labels dethrone the watt as the primary measure of a bulb's effectiveness and replace it with the lumen as a measure of light output.
Can "King Kong" dethrone "Titanic" as the biggest movie of all time?
Tila Tequila has reportedly claimed that she wants to "dethrone" Perez Hilton with her new gossip blog.
And while there might still be some time before they manage to "dethrone" the impact that teens have on social networks, the elderly could easily reach a point where they dominate other websites.
And with this field trying to "dethrone" you at the National Marathon, you'll have to run hard there.
Primaries are good competition when respectful but in the end, you need one candidate to dethrone the Dem.
The actions of the unconscious are so powerful and pervasive that they may 'dethrone' the conscious mind.
In "Incognito," the neuroscientist and polymath David Eagleman argues that the actions of the unconscious are so powerful and pervasive that they "dethrone" the conscious mind and, when combined with the inescapable influences of genes, undermine our traditional ideas of self-control and free will.
Hmmm. On a gay website, I was recently arguing with someone about California legislator Chuck DeVore, one of three Republicans vying for the GOP nomination to dethrone Barbara Boxer (D³) in the U.S. Senate.
While "The Blind Side" was unable to fully dethrone "New Moon" — even though it did steal the first place seat on Thanksgiving day — the heartwarming tale overcame Roland Emmerich's big budget disaster flick, "2012."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.