American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure. See Synonyms at forgive.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To forgive or pardon, as something wrong, especially by implication, as through some act of friendship or confidence toward the offender; overlook, as an offense or fault.
- Specifically In law, to forgive, or to act so as to imply forgiveness of (a violation of the marriage vow). See condonation, 2.
- To cause to overlook or forgive; atone for.
- Synonyms See pardon.
- v. transitive To forgive, excuse or overlook (something).
- v. transitive To allow, accept or permit (something).
- v. transitive, law To forgive (marital infidelity or other marital offense).
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To pardon; to forgive.
- v. (Law) To pardon; to overlook the offense of; esp., to forgive for a violation of the marriage law; -- said of either the husband or the wife.
- v. excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with
- Latin condōnāre : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + dōnāre, to give (from dōnum, gift; see dō- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“What I DO NOT condone is reducing the debate over an issue to the level of stupid personal attacks.”
“What the left does not condone is Israel’s objective of reestablishing a credible deterrent in Gaza.”
“What I don’t condone is the utter mismanagement that the bush admin did in afghanistan.”
“Brown again says that the UK doesn't "condone" torture, and that Sir Peter Gibson will investigate any complaints on the matter, and will report to Brown.”
“That's why a statement that Hillary does not "condone" the comment is weak tea.”
“It's not enough to say you do not "condone" remarks by your own official chairperson and staffer.”
“If the Clinton camp truly doesn't "condone" this bullshit, Shaheen should be canned.”
“Responding to a question about a Clinton-era policy that is coming under renewed scrutiny amid fears of future U.S. troop shortages, Pace said the Pentagon should not "condone" immoral behavior by allowing gay soldiers to serve openly.”
“Bernadette Sands-McKevitt has also denied involvement and said she could not "condone" the bombing.”
“If you mean "believe in" in the sense of "condone", then you're running up against the fallacy of appeals to Nature.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘condone’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
List of most of the words I've learned
FOM - cards - 1/2
Looking for tweets for condone.